I've got a macro whose action I would like to adjust according the to status of the current message. Thus:

 message-hook . 'macro index,pager F
"<copy-message>+spool-to-phone<enter><flag-message><next-undeleted>" "Flag message
(copy to phone also)."'

 message-hook ~F 'macro index,pager F "<flag-message><next-undeleted>" "Unlag
message."'

This does not do what I want. What I want is to adjust the definition of the "F" macro as I move through messages in the index. Reading the doco, I see that message-hook is fired when mutt is deciding how to format a message for the pager. (BTW, the exact times various hooks are fired seems rather vague in the doco.)

Anyway, is there a way to do what I want, either to fire hooks as I step through the index (in index view, not pager view), _or_ to adjust the action of a macro according the the flags of the message (or other status - generally any pattern I might use in <limit> I suppose).

The reason I want this is that I have "F" bound to both set the (F)lagged status _and_ to bounce a copy of the message to my phone (where I keep a "shortlist" of important messages). But I want "F" on an already flagged message to undo the (F)lagged status and _not_ bounce an additional copy to my phone.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>