lilydjwg wrote:
On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 06:48:34PM -0400, Charles E Campbell wrote:
Hello:

It was tricky, but I got my .muttrc working so that I could send stuff out
via the command line.

Until about two weeks ago, where mutt suddenly stopped sending out email and
started complaining instead.

To shorten the story: this is what I use with Seamonkey.  Works fine.

Description           : astronaut
Server Name           : outgoing.verizon.net
Port                  : 465
Connection Security   : SSL/TLS
Authentication Method : Normal password
User Name             : astronaut

Of course, there is a password involved and its stored in Seamonkey's
passwords file.

Now, on to .muttrc:

[...]

You can see my some of my attempts at getting mutt to talk via smtp and
messing around with smtp authenticators.  None of them work.

Would someone please help?
Try this one?

set smtp_url="smtps://astron...@verizon.net@outgoing.verizon.net:465"

Here's the result:

cec/ fsp#06 djinni? tstmutt.cfb

SSL connection using TLSv1/SSLv3 (ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384)
external authentication failed, trying next method
anonymous authentication failed, trying next method
plain authentication failed, trying next method
Connection to outgoing.verizon.net closed
digest-md5 authentication failed, trying next method
No authenticators available
Could not send the message.

That's better than what I had been getting: (after a long pause)

Connection to outgoing.verizon.net closed
SMTP session failed: read error
Could not send the message.

Thank you,
Chip Campbell