After following the thread a bit, my thoughts:

On 27Jun17 20:22 +0200, Simon Thelen wrote:
> On 17-06-27 at 11:20, Jason wrote:

>From my experience I would recommend _not_ to do file system based
backups (like with rsync) where the data source file system has more
capabilities as the destination. Just don't do it. Chances are high
you'll run into troubles at other locations, too.

There have been some helpful thoughts already on this threads. But
nothing seem to fit. Here some more brainstorming:

  a Switch over from Maildir to mbox, with all its pros and cons, pro
    for your would be file name issue solved!
  b Write your own fuse fs
    The API is really not too complicated. If you can code, you could
    remount your Maildir into another dir, which on the fly does s.th.
    like s/:/_/
    Having that ro would also be enough, for backing up - restore is
    then another story.
    Then exclude the src Maildir in rsunc and just backup the fuse mount
  c Don't use fat (sry, could not resist)

Have fun,
--
Bastian