On 27Jun2017 10:00, Jason <elect...@emypeople.net> wrote:
I use rsync for doing incremental backups to a USB stick. I am having
a problem that rsync does not like backing up my mutt emails since
they contain a colon in the filename. For example:

1498570870.M370636P2743Q2R5bbb999d0aefc481.net1:2,S

Using fat32 format on the USB stick may be part of the problem but I
don't want to change to a different format for other reasons.

What is the best way to backup these emails or how do others handle
this?

I don't back up to FAT filesystems. Put a real filesystem on your USB stick, eg XFS. This mirrors the advice of another poster.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>