On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 02:06:35PM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 02Feb2018 10:25, Yubin Ruan <ablacktsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I try to save a multipart/alternative attachment to file but all the content
> > seems to be messed up. When view in a pager, it look good:
> >
> > --------------------------------
> > LinkedIn Highlights
> >
> > Should I tell coworkers my salary?
> >
> > 264 people are talking about this
> >
> > https://www.linkedin.com/comm/search/results/content/?keywords=Should+I+tell+coworkers+my+salary%3F&origin=FED_EMAIL&anchorTopic=506458&midToken=AQFSR-6AohV2qQ&trk=eml-email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01-hero-1-null&trkEmail=eml-email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01-hero-1-null-null-6mvow3%7Ejd475j9d%7Ey4-null-neptune%2Fsearch%2Eresults%2Econtent&lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Aemail_email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01%3BrxyHuw3NTWi4n8fHNW81ig%3D%3D
> > ---------------------------------
> >
> > However, when saved to a file, it become:
> > (which is the same as in editor when you press 'e' to edit the email)
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> > LinkedIn Highlights
> >
> > Should I tell coworkers my salary?
> >
> > 264 people are talking about this
> >
> > https://www.linkedin.com/comm/search/results/content/?keywords=3DShould+I+t=
> > ell+coworkers+my+salary%3F&origin=3DFED_EMAIL&anchorTopic=3D506458&midToken=
> > =3DAQFSR-6AohV2qQ&trk=3Deml-email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01-hero-1-null&trkE=
> > mail=3Deml-email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01-hero-1-null-null-6mvow3%7Ejd475j9=
> > d%7Ey4-null-neptune%2Fsearch%2Eresults%2Econtent&lipi=3Durn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ae=
> > mail_email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01%3BrxyHuw3NTWi4n8fHNW81ig%3D%3D
> >
> > =20
> > -----------------------------------
> >
> > I know the tailing = at the end is to enable the pager to prettify thing.
> > But
> > can we save directly from the pager?
>
> I don't think this is anything to do with locales.
>
> I'm presuming you're talking about saving something from the attachment
> menu?  And not about saving a message complete.
>
> What you show above is interesting.
>
> It looks to me like the second version, the folded lines ending in "=", is
> quoted-printable, which encoded most ASCII range text as itself, with escape
> sequences for various bytes not in the common lower range and of course for
> the escape character "=" itself. Its purpose it to get text through various
> systems undamaged while keeping it visually fairly readable.
>
> Normally, that would be the attachment's Content-Transfer-Encoding, which I
> would expect to be decoded on save, because the attachment is no longer
> enclosed in a mail message structure.
>
> Apparently not the case.
>
> Can you describe _exactly_ what procedure your went through to save this
> message, from the index view (list of message titels/authors only) through
> to saving the file? So that we can reproduce what you've done and understand
> it?

Procedure:
  1. enter the attachment view using 'v'
  2. go the attachment you want to save,
  3. press 's', which will prompt you for a file name to save the file with

FYI: those tailing = are not generated by Mutt. I am using Gmail, and through
Gmail's web interface I can confirm that the original mail already have those
tailing = .

--
Yubin