On Tue, 7 May 2019 13:43:22 -0400, Kurt Hackenberg wrote:

> On 2019-05-07 12:13, Luciano ES wrote:
>
> >> Does the Inbox folder contain the standard maildir style
> >> directories: cur, new, tmp ? Unread messages should be inside
> >> 'new', read messages inside 'cur'.
> >>

> > Hi. There used to be cur, new, tmp. There shouldn't be because it is
> > all MH. So I decided to delete them. Only Inbox had them. Sure
> > enough, now mutt can see the contents of Inbox.
>
> An MH folder is a directory containing a file for each message; the
> filenames are numbers. There's also, optionally, a file named
> ".mh_sequences" that contains one or two message attributes
> ("unseen", and Mutt adds "replied"), plus user-specified groupings of
> messages. I believe Mutt will not recognize this as an MH folder if
> the file .mh_sequences is absent. So that might be part of your
> problem.
>
> But maildir would probably be a better choice for your main inbox.
> Maildir does random access, concurrent access, and spooling of
> incoming messages. MH format does only random access. When you use MH
> format for your inbox, how is new incoming mail delivered?

I just poll pop3 boxes directly, mostly Gmail. I don't use procmail or
anything like that.

By the way, does mutt support Gmail boxes now? It didn't when I still
used it. Please note that I am stuck with mutt 1.7.2 which is what
Debian stable provides.

I love maildir, but the problem with maildir is that even if I go
back to mutt, I want to have something to fall back on if I have to.
I am going to need some time to relearn how to properly configure
mutt so it's nice and sweet again. The only MUA I can stand besides
mutt is claws-mail, which does not support maildir. There used to be
a plugin, but it is discontinued. Since mutt supports MH, I guess
I had better just stay put in relation to that. I'm just insecure
about the whole thing because it's behaving strangely. Why
does mutt show files rather than browse folders on every first
attempt? It doesn't make sense.

Thank you for your assistance.

--
Luciano ES