On 2019-07-08 21:12, José María Mateos wrote:
On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 06:14:15PM -0700, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:

There actually may be an issue with Mutt here. I think the space-stuffing is not working, but I haven't had enough time yet to look into the problem and possible solutions more deeply. I'll try to address this before the next release though.

Just to be clear, I don't think my particular issue is with mutt here, it's simply that the kind of structured text I like to use doesn't play well with the flowed format; I never thought it was something particular to mutt.

I concur.  Hanging indents lie beyond the scope of RFC 3676.

They also don't align necessarily when proportionately spaced fonts are used, but José probably already knows this. As an alternative, have you considered the following?

【1】 This is a list. How does if flow? Do the double-width brackets make the items stand apart? 【2】 Here is another item. The double-width brackets are called “lenticular” apparently. See U+3010 for more.
【3】 Bye.