On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 06:04:05PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 02:02:15PM +0100, Nuno Silva wrote:
> > On 2019-10-20, Chris Green wrote:
> > Do these systems have apparmor? It seems to be some sort of security
> > tool which restricts access to files and directories based on rules.
> >
> > I don't use ubuntu (or ubuntu-based) systems nor apparmor, but this
> > looks like it might be related:
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/apparmor/apparmor/raw/master/profiles/apparmor.d/abstractions/private-files
> >
> I just removed apparmor from one of my systems (I can see no use for
> it anyway), I still get the error with evince.

But did you reboot or otherwise confirm that apparmor is not still
in play?  I'm not super familiar with it but it appears to be a kernel
module--if it were loaded I would expect it to stay that way despite
the file being removed... at least until the kernel was restarted
(i.e. you rebooted the machine).  Though, it's possible that removing
the package asks the kernel to unload the module.

-=-=-=-=-