On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 01:37:29PM +1300, martin f krafft wrote:
Yes, it does. I think Chris' and José's points were more about requiring an external tool to provide functionality which has become so core to everyday email use that mutt could learn to do it.

Urlview also obstructs your view to context when using it. I've opened it a million times only to find myself staring at a list of tracking URLs that all look the same, now knowing which one appeared in the paragraph I was just reading. Mutt could do a much better job, with a UI/UX similar to what rxvt-unicode offers (but cannot due to ncurses…), i.e.:

Yes, that's precisely what I meant. Problems when selecting URLs come precisely from two very precise e-mail types:

1. Very long URL compilations. Say RISKS Digest, for instance. If anyone here is subscribed, they know what I mean.

2. Newsletters with tracking links.

To me, the gold standard of "selecting URLs while in text mode to be sent to the browser" is a plugin for irssi ("the mutt of IRC clients", I'd say) called simply url.pl. It tracks which URLs have been posted to all channels one is into and prepends a number between brackets. When one wants to visit a given address (let's say, just for this example, that I want to visit the third URL that was posted), just has to send the command /url 3, and it will be sent to Firefox.

Now, visualizing HTML e-mail with elinks -dumps or something similar also prepends a number between brackets, but I have found that urlview and elinks don't always agree on the numbering. In the end, if the e-mail is a complex HTML newsletter, I just open it with Firefox and click on whatever links I want to read. If it's a text message, I select the URL with the mouse and paste it in the address bar of a new Firefox tab. It takes just a few seconds of my time, it's not a big deal... but it could be better :-)

Cheers,

--
José María (Chema) Mateos || https://rinzewind.org