On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 11:30:41PM +0100, Ken wrote in <20200819223041.GA3595@llamedos.localdomain>:
Does the problem occur when you change the name to anything else? And what
if you send an email to your own email address but with their name?

Tried the real name with my address, it took the subject and dropped
me into the editor so all was fine.  Retried with  the real name and
his address, that also took the subject and dropped me into the
editor.

So, now it Works For Me.

Above I said that occasionally I could not use the normal keys and
to navigate in mutt - I had not seen that for several months, then
one day last week it happened again.  Must be a local problem.

Glad to hear it works for you now. It sounds like it might be a problem outside
of mutt. Could be terminal settings, could be keyboard settings, could be
keyboard hardware even, but your guess is probably as good as mine!