El día jueves, noviembre 05, 2020 a las 10:17:25a. m. -0800, Kevin J. McCarthy
escribió:

> >Thanks for the reply. The used mutt is version 1.18.3 (see debug log
> >below). I put a tee command between mut and sendmail to see what mutt
> >is spilling out to sendmail:
> >
> >   ... | mutt -d4 .... | tee -a acqmail.log  | sendmail -t
>
> Sorry I didn't look closely enough at your original email.  It sounds
> like you are expecting the stdout of mutt to be the formatted message
> which you are then piping to sendmail.  Is that correct?

Yes, exactly.

> As far as I know, that mode of operation isn't supported by Mutt.  I'm
> confused how it is working, to be honest.  Mutt expects either $sendmail
> or $smtp_url to be set, and it controls the sending itself.

It *is* supported by mutt using the following trick: one of the arguments
to mutt is:

.... | mutt -d4 -e "set sendmail=\"cat --\"" ... | sendmail -t

i.e. from the point of view of mutt the 'sendmail' is just a 'cat'
command and so its output is coming out on STDOUT of the proc.

I'm already debugging the process chain with Linux strace and it seems
that there is some problem with SIGCHLD in mutt not getting correctly
the proc termination of its 'sendmail', seeing it as -127 which causes
then the (wrong) assumption that the mail wasn't sent by its 'sendmail'
child proc. We will see...

        matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ g...@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
Без книги нет знания, без знания нет коммунизма (Влaдимир Ильич Ленин)