> If I use w3m -o ext_image_viewer=0 test.png, I can get the file test.png
> inside xterm.
In my setup I do not have `ext_image_viewer` option so I can not verify

> image/*;w3m -o ext_imageviewer=0 %s; copious output

should be `copiousoutput`, not `copious output`, I think.

> However this does not work

Well can you invoke `w3m` in attachment menu?

You may add `auto_view image/*` in your muttrc to get `w3m` invoked
automatically.

> and gives me the options of w3m in the mutt window

It is strange that with `copious output` your mailcap still works. In my
test when I use `copious output`, `w3m` is not invoked nor given as a option.

BTW, does `w3m` inline image view appear in the form of ascii? Or It
just shows an image inside terminal. If it is the latter, I suppose
there would be problem rendering for mutt as `copiousoutput` can not
exactly describe the situation, and it may mess up your email layout.

--
GPG Fingerprint: 1127F188280AE3123619332987E17EEF9B18B6C9