* mutt users list <mutt-users@mutt.org> [12-04-20 11:07]:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks!
>
>  > On Friday, December 4, 2020, 9:56:23 AM CST, Dave Woodfall <d...@tty1.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >>  On 04/12/20 05:30, Mutt Users <mutt-users@mutt.org> put forth the
> >>proposition:
> >> Hi,
> >> If I use w3m -o ext_image_viewer=0 test.png, I can get the file test.png
> >> inside xterm. I wanted to do the same on my mutt window (inside xterm).
> >> How do I do this?
> >> I tried putting:
> >> image/*;w3m -o ext_imageviewer=0 %s; copious output
> >> However this does not work and gives me the options of w3m in the mutt
> >> window. How can I use this?
>
> >I don't have a solution offhand, but I'd like to let you know thatw3m's
> >image viewer can be invoked directly without going via w3m
> first.
>
> > It is installed in your distro's libexec directory, which in mine
> > (slackware) is:
>
> >/usr/libexec/w3m/w3mimgdisplay
>
> >Doing a `locate w3mimgdisplay' should find it.
>
> Interesting and thanks! Mine is also at the same location:
>
> $ locate w3mimgdisplay
> /usr/libexec/w3m/w3mimgdisplay
>
> However
>
> $ /usr/libexec/w3m/w3mimgdisplay test.png
>
> appears to do nothing. The prompt just comes back.

I didn't have it installed, but test installed and get same result.
removed it and following works w/o it, but w3m must be configured to
display graphical.  I will have to look to see where, don't remember, too
old, been too long.

for me:  w3m display.jpg
will display image display.jpg

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode