12021/00/30 09:27.95 ನಲ್ಲಿ, boB Stepp <robertvst...@gmail.com> ಬರೆದರು:

*snip*

> 1)  I eventually want to migrate all of my Gmail to ProtonMail.  I will
> probably never entirely get rid of Gmail.  For one thing it makes a good
> honey pot for when I must supply an email, but do not want to give out my
> preferred email.  But I would like to at least minimize the data they collect
> on me.
> My distant end goal is to separate from Google software entirely, but doing
> that seems
> difficult until I determine how to solve my Android phone dilemmas.  But that
> is not a
> concern for Mutt!
>
> I see two routes towards this migration:  (a) Forwarding all Gmail to
> ProtonMail and only have Mutt track ProtonMail.  As I get time I will
> notify everyone to use my new email address.  (b) Track both accounts with
> Mutt while doing the transition.  What would your advice be?

I have done exactly this, actually. I would connect Mutt to both accounts,
simply because (as I found out) email migration is a giant PITA (pain in the
a**). While you will be able to switch most of your accounts over quite quickly
(if you have a record somewhere of where you have accounts open), there will be
a 'long tail' of email addresses that simply won't update, and having quick
access to both addresses, even if you mostly use the ProtonMail one, is quite
useful.

> 2)  I would like to remove all email storage from the cloud, that is,
> whether Gmail or ProtonMail, once I have my mail on my local PC I want to
> delete it from those accounts.  What would be the best way to do this?

If you use a separate mail syncing program like fetchmail or mbsync or
whatever, you can tell it to delete emails on the server after (successfully!)
fetching them. Personally, I don't know that I would recommend that, simply
because you never know when you might actually need access to your emails from
e.g. your phone.

Also, unless you have impeccable backup practices (I know I don't!), having an
extra copy always available on the server is useful. This is especially true if
the mailbox isn't being monetised as in the case of ProtonMail.

> 3)  I would like my local storage of my emails to allow for me to store
> certain content types in sensible folders.  For example, Python Tutor emails
> that I want to keep I would like to store in a Python Tutor folder, Mutt
> emails in a Mutt folder, etc.  Probably I would best be served by a manual,
> not an automatic, moving into desired folders as I will be picky as to those
> emails I would like to keep.  What would be the best advice on this?

I would suggest tagging (using e.g. notmuch) over physically moving emails.
This allows labelling one email with more than one tag and doesn't mess with
the Maildir structure (you _can_ have subfolders and such within Maildir, but
there are some differences of opinion over how this should be implemented and I
personally recommend sticking with the regular "official" Maildir format - i.e.
no sub-folders besides cur, new, and tmp).

> 4)  I would like to be able to quickly search through all locally stored
> emails.  I think Andrew has already offered a good solution.  Does anyone
> have different thoughts on this from his?

notmuch, period.

> 5)  I would like to be able to auto-backup locally stored emails on my PC
> to another hard drive on my local network.  I guess this would be
> facilitated by a sensible organization of my PC's email storage?

Yes, backing up your emails should be part of your regular backup routine. I
store all of my emails under ~/.local/mail/ with subdirectories for each
account.

HTH!

- Chiraag
--