On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 02:43:48PM -0600, boB Stepp wrote:
> Today's task is to understand and install/configure "notmuch" to
> search through this locally stored mail.

Notmuch is quite nice in some ways, but (as Dan Bernstein kindly pointed
out to me a couple of years ago), it probably isn't necessary for most
people because Mutt's "limit" feature is powerful enough.

If you can live with the latter, then you can avoid notmuch altogether,
which helps to keep your setup simple and your TCB small.

>> 2)  I would like to remove all email storage from the cloud, that is,
>> whether Gmail or ProtonMail, ...
>
> For now I am abandoning this goal as it was pointed out that I might
> want to access certain archived emails from my phone or some other
> device outside of my PC.

Some people do this by sync'ing their PC's mailboxes with their phone.
This can be done various ways, including:

- Unison (or rsync, but Unison is safer):
  https://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

- Hosting your own IMAP server using Dovecot.

>> 5)  I would like to be able to auto-backup locally stored emails on
>> my PC to another hard drive on my local network.  I guess this would
>> be facilitated by a sensible organization of my PC's email storage?
>
> Remains to be implemented.  The above folder structure should make
> this trivial to accomplish.

If you use ZFS as your file system, look into Jim Salter's duo of
helpful scripts: Sanoid and Syncoid.

If you don't use ZFS (or at least another checksumming filesystem like
btrfs), then maybe you should.

Good luck in your quest!

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.