On 01Feb2021 16:03, ಚಿರಾಗ್ ನಟರಾಜ್ <mailingl...@chiraag.me> wrote:
> sending emails might well be time-sensitive, and I _need_ to know
> that it went through (or get immediate feedback if it fails).

So let's be clear:  If you have time-sensitive communications that
need to be delivered immediately, reliably, you should almost
certainly not be using e-mail for them.  Just becaue your mail client
is able to hand off your message to your outgoing mail gateway in no
way means that it is guaranteed to be delivered quickly, or even at
all...  Delivery may still fail or be delayed due to intervening mail
servers' load, connectivity, hardware failures, botched configuration
changes, etc., and in all likelihood you won't know anything about it.

If you can not accept this, you must not use e-mail to deliver your
message.  If you can accept this, then having the message queue
locally on your machine is less of a risk than having it queue on any
other SMTP node along the way, because you can actively detect such
problems and potentially do something to fix them, whereas in all
other cases you simply can not.

And the reality is, once your networking and your MTA is configured
correctly, as long as your internet connection is working, your mail
will go out, and will continue to go out so long as you don't muck
with things and subsequently botch them.  If you do make subsequent
changes, of course you will need to test them...

-=-=-=-=-