On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 01:04:15PM +0000, ಚಿರಾಗ್ ನಟರಾಜ್ wrote:
> 12021/01/05 03:27.03 ನಲ್ಲಿ, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> ಬರೆದರು:
> >
> > Currently I automatically add all mailing lists I am subscribed to
> > into my muttrc file against both 'lists' and 'subscribe', is this
> > correct/OK?
> >
> > I've never been quite clear why there are two commands.
> >
> > I have in my muttrc :-
> >
> >     #
> >     #
> >     # Mailing lists
> >     #
> >     lists `~/.mutt/bin/getLists.py`
> >     subscribe `~/.mutt/bin/getLists.py`
> >
> > The getLists.py script just extracts all the mailing list addresses
> > from my filter file (that also drives my mail filter program) and
> > outputs them space separated on one line.
> >
> > If having list addresses in both is redundant that's not an issue, I
> > was just wondering if it might be doing any harm.
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green
>
> From the documentation: Once you have done this, the <list-reply> function
> will work for all known lists. Additionally, when you send a message to
> a known list and $followup_to is set, Mutt will add a Mail-Followup-To
> header will not, telling other users' mail user agents not to send copies
> of replies to your personal address. More precisely, Mutt maintains lists
> of patterns for the addresses of known and subscribed mailing lists. Every
> subscribed mailing list is known. To mark a mailing list as known, use
> the list command. To mark it as subscribed, use subscribe. (section 3.14)

Yes, I've read that several times over the years and I'm really none
the wiser! :-)

> Personally, I just do what you mentioned and haven't had any ill effects.

I suspect that's what lots of people do!

A couple of examples of what will happen in various cases would be
really handy.

... and anyway are there *any* lists now that allow posts to
unsubscribed lists?

--
Chris Green