On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:55:54PM +0100, Angel M Alganza wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 04:21:11PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > mails in my junk catching directories, is it OK/safe to do it like this?
> >
> >    20 02 * * * find /home/chris/mail/Ju/*/cur -type f -mtime +7 -exec rm {}
> > \;
> >    30 02 * * * find /home/chris/mail/Ju/*/new -type f -mtime +7 -exec rm {}
> > \;
>
> Are those junk catching directories where you place email to be deleted
> temporarily, so that you don't through them right away?  Lie a Trash maildir
> of sorts?  I use trash locally and Trash remotely (at the IMAP server) to
> serve that function.

They get mail directed to them that I read by other means.  For
example I'm subscribed to a number of mailing lists that are also fed
to Usenet news by Gmane.  I need to be subscribed to the lists so that
I can post messages via Gmane.  Occasionally I may need to go via
E-Mail.  Other ones are error messages from a remote server which I
usually don't care about but occasionally I want to look at.

Thus keeping the messages for a week and then automatically deleting
them makes sense for me.

[snip details about IMAP handling]

My mail is delivered by SMTP direct to my desktop machine which runs
postfix and is on all the time.  As a backup I have my domain hosting
service deliver all my mail to another system as well as to my home
server.

--
Chris Green (ch...@halon.org.uk)