On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:12:39PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> mails in my junk catching directories, is it OK/safe to do it like this?

Other ones are error messages from a remote server which I
usually don't care about but occasionally I want to look at.

Oh, that's interesting. I might be setting my own set of junk catching maildirs for things like those that I clean manually every now and then.

My mail is delivered by SMTP direct to my desktop machine which runs
postfix and is on all the time.  As a backup I have my domain hosting
service deliver all my mail to another system as well as to my home
server.

I synchronize (mbsyn) all email into my IMAP server to several different desktops, laptops and phones and, in my main desktop, I make an incremental backup through BTRFS snapshots that I keep for years. So, at all times I have multiples copies of all email across different devices, a 'bak' remote IMAP maildir to keep every email for 180 days, and also an incremental back up.

Re-reading this last paragraph I think I might come across a little paranoid (and no, I don't work for a secret agency or anything, LOL), but I have developed the system over many years, and as I implemented new ideas and kept the previous, it's got those many 'layers'. But I like it and it works very nicely by giving me the peace of mind that I can recover every single piece of g̶a̶r̶b̶a̶g̶e̶ email I might need (I will never, hehe, but still...)

Cheers,
Ángel