* Globe Trotter via Mutt-users <mutt-users@mutt.org> [2021-09-10 07:30]:
> Hello,
>
> I am still new to mutt (having moved from sylpheed) and finding my way.
> Great, but one of the major issues that I have been having is that sometimes
> I get some e-mail which is written in html but which has no indication of any
> links, but has some links that are embedded/hidden. So, there are two things
> I would like to say here. In the first case, I get an email and says, for
> instance: "Edit here." But there is no indication that there is a link, much
> less what the link is. So, in many cases, I am finding myself just not even
> realizing these actions on emails (not in the above case, because it
> specifically says that there is an action required on my part, but sometimes,
> the text is ambiguous). I can open the html in an external browser and there
> I find the link, but I would like an in-mutt solution (I don't really like
> going to the browser to read my email if I can help it). This is becoming
> quite a big concern for me.
>
> To be sure, there are some cases where I get the links displayed,
> but this is not always, and I am trying to find out how to make it
> such that it is displayed always.

I know a solution that works well:

1) Make HTML attachments to be open with `elinks' browser; this is
   good enough to open links in console mode; but then follow to open
   up links with external browser;

   In ~/.mailcap I have following:

   text/html;   elinks -force-html '%s';

2) Go into setup in `elinks' with `o' to options, "Document" then "URI
   Passing" and then press `a' to add new option, you may name it like
   "External" press `e' on that option and enter your favorite
   browser, I have something like "iceweasel %c" -- which means if I
   wish to open the link with external browser, I would use option
   under menu "Link" -> "Pass link URI to external command";

3) To make it respond quickly on the key, go to "Setup" -> "Keybinding
   manager" -> "Main mapping" -> "Pass link URI to external command"
   and press ENTER, choose your keybinding, I have ";" for example;

4) When you wish to view HTML attachment, then you press enter in
   attachment menu and `elinks' browser will open. You can read the
   HTML document and browse with `elinks' the Internet. If you wish to
   open the link in external browser, you press the key binding, in
   this example it was ";"

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns