On 23Mar2022 15:01, Jon Brinkmann <brinkm...@nmsu.edu> wrote:
>I'm working to extract the original message and send it back through
>procmail
>to be properly sorted into my mailboxes.  I've mapped this process to the
>'E' key:
>
>macro index E '<view-attachments>5<enter><pipe-entry>procmail;tail
>procmail.log<enter>' 'extract & process a message that Microsoft Exchange
>called undeliverable'
>
>It works great, with one problem: <pipe-entry> doesn't pass the mailbox
>delimiting "From [email_address] [message_date]" to procmail, which sorts and
>writes what it received to a file that's not recognized as a mailbox by mutt.
>Is there some way to tell <pipe-entry> to pass the delimiter line?  If not,
>should this be a code change request?

Well, the poblem here is that the From_ line is not part of the message
itself, and won't be present in the attachment you have.

I'd be inventing one - it is broadly ignored by mail filters etc (again,
not being part of the message), so you just need a valid one to work as
the mbox delimiter line. Maybe something like this:

    ( echo "From nobody `date`"; cat ) | procmail

>FYI, it appears that <pipe-message> and <pipe-entry> are identical.  At
>least they produce identical results.

The name distinction might be historic, one being from the top level
(index) and one being from the attachment menu? Just guessing.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>