On 2022-05-07 08:45:35, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> Probably not? If you've been debugging the $smtp* variables (in
> particular, having to debug the password) then it sounds like mutt is
> actually sending directly with SMTP and _not_ using the local postfix.
>
> When you send with the local postfix, mutt just hands the message off to
> the sendmail command and doesn't say anything about delivery - that is
> sendmail's job.

I double-checked Mutt's current $sendmail variable, and it's certainly the
default "/usr/sbin/sendmail" command mentioned in the manual.
The route exists, and it's by Postfix package in the system I use.
Also, I tried sending email to myself, and checked the full headers. It does
have the TLS thing you mention BTW, but on the other hand it has "User-Agent:
Mutt 1.10.1"...
Also, Mutt does not say additional stuff or command line output (just exit code
'0') when sending email...
I'm trying to use Mutt with external MTA/SMTP (Postfix in this case), as the
correct way intended, instead of Mutt's builtin SMTP.
Am I failing? If so, why?

By the way, in Mutt default pager for reading emails, your words between
underscores '_' (_not_, _may_, etc...) are not being displayed... Why?

> >Then how do I know the email is really being sent from
> >u...@domain.tld 's account/SMTP?
>
> Hahahaha! You don't!
> [...]
Maybe I'm completely confused and lost...
If sending email from the webmail, I'm sure it gets send from the email address
account/SMTP.
Same if sending from the popular "official" email clients (Outlook,
Thunderbird...)
But *not* sure when sending from Mutt...

> "man mutt" says that:
>
>      -n     Do not read the system-wide Muttrc configuration file.
>
> If you're getting an exit 1, I'd expect some kind of error message as
> well.

No command line output whatsoever; only an exit '1' code when checking with
"echo $?"

> >---When browsing emails in Mutt, why do sizes inside () -for example,
> >(1.1K)- change to something different and smaller -( 6)- when hitting
> >enter to display the message?
>
> They don't for me. Are you sure you're not confusing the index lines
> (one per message, specified by $index_format) with the header shown
> above a specific message when you're viewing it? Got an example?

1   2022-05-06 17:45:35 Cameron Simpson ( 11K) Re: New to Mutt, unable to send
messages in *any* attempted way
And when hitting enter to display message:
1   2022-05-06 17:45:35 Cameron Simpson ( 158) Re: New to Mutt, unable to send
messages in *any* attempted way
(I changed $date_format and $index_format to custom values)

And finally, what key to manually force to check for new mail, instead of
waiting or quitting and starting Mutt again?
Evidently just doing "any" activity in Mutt does not refresh/fetch new email...