On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 10:54:19AM -0500, X Tec wrote:
> Managed to briefly test in a more updated rig with Mutt 2.2.4 and
> Msmtp 1.8.11.

Good job.

I'm in haste, so am skipping over the msmtp password oddness.  Maybe
another list subscriber will take that up.

> The passwordeval with gpg method also works, albeit I wasn't able to
> figure out how to use it directly in command line... Trying to use
>
> set sendmail="/usr/bin/msmtp [...] --passwordeval="gpg --no-tty -q -d
> ~/.user.gpg""
>
> got this:
>
> Error in command line: --no-tty: unknown variable
> gpg: WARNING: no command supplied. Trying to guess what you mean ...
> gpg: processing message failed: Unknown system error
> msmtp: cannot read output of 'gpg'
> Error sending message, child exited 78 ().
> Could not send the message.
>
> I did figure it's an issue with wrongly used quotes (and the gpg
> command needs them), but still haven't been able to solve it...

https://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/quotingvar.html

https://mywiki.wooledge.org/Quotes

Once you know your shell's quoting syntax, you will see that you can
probably achieve your goal in any of several different ways.  Which to
use is a matter of taste.

E.g.

    '/home/.user.gpg'

vs

    "~"'/.user.gpg'

If you still find yourself stuck (or even if you don't), you might want
to try using Pass as a wrapper around GPG:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_%28software%29

> On 2022-05-11 09:03:56, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe because in your examples above, you set the record variable to
>>> ""?
>>>
>>> I may be wrong, but: I think that in order for Mutt to know whether
>>> a message has been replied to, it checks the mailbox specified by
>>> the record variable - so if that variable is empty, Mutt has no way
>>> of checking.
>>
>> I thought it just set a flag on the message.
>>
>> I forget, is XTec using a local or IMAP mail folder?
>
> Current IMAP settings (using Starttls):
> set folder = "imap://u...@domain.tld@smtp.domain.tld"
> set spoolfile = +INBOX
> mailboxes = +INBOX
>
> Also,
> set record = ""
> set date_format = "%F %T"
> set index_format = "%4C %Z %D %-15.15L (%?l?%4l&%4c?) %s"
> set sort = reverse-date
>
> By using '$' I just get "Mailbox is unchanged", even when I know there
> are new messages.  The only thing that *seemed* to work was "bind
> index G imap-fetch-mail" in .muttrc.  With this, I could use 'G' to
> refresh for newly received emails Still, I kind of expected a
> "default" key for that...
>

> ---Just like Msmtp, if the better idea is to not store passwords in
> plain text, doesn't Mutt have some type of password "masking" or
> something? With GPG, hashed into another file somewhere else, etc...

Yes, Mutt does have a way to achieve that.

I hate so say "Read The Friendly Manual", but within

https://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#muttrc-syntax

you will find this example:

    set imap_pass="`gpg --batch -q --decrypt ~/.mutt/account.gpg`"

https://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#ex-backtick-dblquotes

Best,

Sam

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.