On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 09:07:37PM +0200, Mihai Lazarescu <mtl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 15:15:55 +0000, Nacho via Mutt-users wrote:
>
> > > What you describe is becoming more and more history, which I regret.
> > > Let me give you the link of an article that should interest you.
> > >
> > > https://cfenollosa.com/blog/after-self-hosting-my-email-for-twenty-three-years-i-have-thrown-in-the-towel-the-oligopoly-has-won.html
> >
> > I don't agree with that article, it has some technical errors I will not
> > discuss
> > here because of lack of time and it being off topic.
> >
> > But in short, today it's just a matter of money and time to have your own
> > email system working perfectly, of course the cost have increased wildly in
> > the
> > last few years and will keep doing so, but at least for me makes all the
> > sense
> > to pay for it.
>
> I tend to concur. I run just fine for several years now my own SMTP/IMAP
> servers + Let's Encrypt certificate on a cheap VPS (< $20/year).
>
> It took some work to set it up, but that's it. Surely not a mass solution,
> yet feasible and stable.
>
> Messages sent to Google accounts tick all green boxes.
>
> Only Microsoft (outlook.com, hotmail.com) seem to filter the whole IP block,
> but I am too lazy to ask the provider to fix or change provider altogether.
>
> Given the cheap VPS, I can mirror the setup on a second VPS from a different
> provider with quick DNS switch in case of issues.
>
> HTH.
>
> Mihai

I haven't noticed any cost increases with my VPS (but I
am paying more than $20/year).

I've only had two mail receivability problems.

It turns out that spamhaus doesn't realise that someone
might only have one IPv6 address, so if any of my
neighbour VPSs sends spam over IPv6, the whole network
block is tainted, so I had to stop my mail server from
sending from its IPv6 address. Luckily, the same
strange idea doesn't seem to apply to IPv4 (at least
for spamhaus).

Also, Microsoft once didn't like my IPv4 address so I
temporarily routed mail to there via some third party
service, but when I asked them to fix it, they did (but
they couldn't explain why they didn't like it).

Apart from that, it all seems fine (unless I'm deluded). :-)

cheers,
raf