On 2022-09-12 21:59, bastian-muttu...@t6l.de wrote:
> On 12Sep22 21:07+0200, Mihai Lazarescu wrote:
> > Given the cheap VPS, I can mirror the setup on a second VPS from a different
> > provider with quick DNS switch in case of issues.
>
> I just did that approx half a year ago. Before, everything was rolling
> just fine (for more than 10 yrs). No dead ends of my outgoing mails.
> After transferring the domain over to the new hoster, some destinations
> did not receive my mails. Either filtered into spam, some got denied
> (where I got a nice SMTP error reply) and some just got silently
> dropped.

> This took me some time to figure out with each destination, why is that
> happening. And sometimes also just guessing. At least the
> mail-tester.com rate is 10/10, so it is not about my setup per se.

Now that this thread has steered off-topic already, I dare to hijack it
some more: My own setup had a score below 10/10, because my PTR record
pointed to eden.one, while my mailserver's hostname was mail.eden.one.

I changed the hostname (and the Dovecot/Postfix config) to eden.one, but
subsequently found a couple of serverfault threads (related to the
MxToolbox warning "Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname") advising
against this setup:

https://serverfault.com/questions/711600/reverse-dns-is-not-a-valid-hostname-error-from-mxtoolbox/
https://serverfault.com/questions/599712/best-practices-for-fqdn-for-standalone-domain-is-a-two-part-domain-tld-okay/599725#599725

While I did run into a problem initially (overlapping mydestination and
mailbox_virtual_domains in the Postfix configuration disrupted email
delivery to Dovecot virtual mailboxes), the new setup now works quite
well (and delivers a 10/10 score at mail-tester.com).

Do you consider a PTR record pointing to a bare domain (eden.one) a
serious issue? Or are there any downsides to pointing the PTR record to
mail.eden.one? According to Cloudflare, reverse DNS lookups are mainly
used for mailservers anyway – but are they relevant for other services
(nginx etc) running on the same server at all?

> The IP and/or subnet my VPS was in had a bad reputation at some
> denylist services. Question was then, how to get removed from them.
> Sometimes via automated forms and sometimes through personal
> mail-conversation with other mail operators (t-online.de was very nice
> and responsive to my surprise).

I had exactly the same impression of the postmaster team at T-Online.de
just two weeks ago: https://eden.one/2022/8/schwarzgelistet :)

Thanks,
Jan