On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 08:47:44PM -0500, Jason Franklin wrote:
Now, if I re-open mutt, the message is gone... completely. I'm confused as to why the message was removed even though I typed 'n' at the prompt for whether or not to proceed with the purge.

Are "purging" and "deleting" not the same thing?

According to the IMAP protocol, they are not. Deleting is marking the message with the "deleted" flag, which normally doesn't automatically remove it from the mailbox. Purging (expunging) will remove messages marked as "deleted" from the mailbox.

When you answer 'n' at the prompt, Mutt takes care not to issue a command that would expunge those messages. However, some IMAP server implementations will automatically remove messages marked with a deleted flag anyway.

Gmail, for instance, has a setting, "auto-expunge", to allow the user to control this.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy