On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 03:38:25PM -0500, Jason Franklin wrote:
For example, let's say I mark a message to be deleted, and I have mutt set to say "yes" to the purge prompt at the end of my session, but my computer dies before I can properly close out my mutt process. Will I then lose those messages as I have done here?

I think also relevant is your reply to Hsieh Chin Fan:

I meant that I checked my IMAP folder called "Trash", not the folder designated by $trash. That setting is empty in my new configuration, so mutt doesn't know anything about a trash folder.

If you don't set $trash, then answering "yes" at the purge prompt will permanently delete those messages.

Because your IMAP server auto-expunges, answering "no" at the purge prompt will also result in those message being permanently deleted, whether you have $trash set or not (because Mutt assumes the messages won't be expunged and so doesn't copy them to $trash).

I would suggest putting 'set trash = "=Trash" ; set delete = yes' in your .muttrc to avoid messages going missing. That way Mutt will copy deleted messages to your trash folder before syncing.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy