Jan Eden via Mutt-users <mutt-users@mutt.org> wrote on Sun, 23 Apr 2023 at
02:42:23 EDT in <zettt9qyi3saf...@client.eden.one>:

> On 2023-04-22 14:58, Akkana Peck wrote:
>

> > Thanks: I'd also been trying to find a way to forward with
> > attachments, and $forward_attachments helps as long as there's no
> Isn't this what the mime_forward variable is for?

Not...really.

$mime_forward wraps the entire message in a message/rfc-822 attachment,
preserving the full attachment structure. This is great if the recipient can
deal with it, and is interested in doing so...sometimes that's not the case.
Some MUAs have trouble with them, and others make it just a pain to deal with
opening attachments within attachments. (And these problems increase if there
is a forwarded message that is then forwarded).

I think what is asked for is to flatten the attachment hierarchy and include
all attachments as top-level attachments in the forwarded message. This is
what, e.g., Gmail will do when forwarding. I sometimes want this behavior when
it's more important to get the message across than to forensically preserve the
original message. (Although since it often involves HTML, I tend not to use
mutt to send those kinds of messages, so I'm not sure I would personally find a
mutt feature to do this all that helpful. But that's just me.)

--
jh...@alum.mit.edu
John Hawkinson