On 2023-09-06 13:33, f...@igh.de wrote:

> Dear Mutt Users
>
> recently I experienced DKIM fails that depend on the
> Content-Transfer-Encoding of messages text part.
>
> Being a german I use to write my messages in german with UTF-8
> encoding. I prefer plain text. My e-mails are DKIM signed. I have
> checked DKIM to be set up correctly twice.
>
> By default Mutt does 8bit encoding for text/plain. Now I found that
> several (most) of the recipient systems fail to check DKIM.
>
> If I force Mutt to change the encoding from 8bit to 7bit, base64, or
> quoted-printable (using ^E in the compose menu), the DKIM checks
> succeed.
>
> Can I force Mutt to use quoted-printable or base64 by default for
> encoding of plain text?

In my experience, mutt chooses the simplest encoding required for each
message, and it is usually better not to intervene.

> Does anyone have similar experiences? Is there an explanation for this?
> May there be any interference with the MTA?

At what point do you apply the DKIM signature? If the DKIM signature is
calculated for the complete message (as created by mutt), there should
be no mismatch/DKIM failure.

- Jan