In days of yore (Sat, 23 Mar 2024), Sadeep Madurange thus quoth:
> On 2024-03-23 11:10:11, Sirius via Mutt-users wrote:
> > In days of yore (Sat, 23 Mar 2024), Sadeep Madurange thus quoth:
> > > When I view the following email in mutt, I see a bunch of question marks
> > > where the spaces are. I checked the codepoints and they all seem to be
> > > the normal space (0x20) character in the ASCII table.
> >
> > My initial guess is that this is not a mutt problem but rather a display
> > problem related to your environment. What does your LANG and LC variables
> > look like and what are your locale settings? If at all possible, run with
> > UTF-8.
>
> Initially, LANG was unset and LC_CTYPE="C". The character encoding was
> US-ASCII. I changed these variables (i.e., LANG, LC_CTYPE and locale
> settings) to en_US.UTF-8. Then the ? changed to �. So, looks like you
> are on to something. I will check this with OpenBSD community as well.

For reference, in my Debian Bookworm, I have the following:

sirius�~�$�locale
LANG=sv_SE.UTF8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_NUMERIC="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_TIME="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_COLLATE="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_MONETARY="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_MESSAGES="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_PAPER="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_NAME="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_ADDRESS="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_TELEPHONE="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="sv_SE.UTF8"
LC_ALL=

I run this in a WSL on Win11, but have this config replicated across
Fedora, RHEL and Debian VMs and physical systems. In my .mutt/muttrc, I
have the following set:

set ascii_chars=yes
set assumed_charset="utf-8:iso-8859-1:us-ascii"
set charset="utf-8"
set config_charset="utf-8"

It may be that you just need to pop in the "set charset="utf-8"" in your
mutt config and you are good to go.

> In Xdefaults, I have set XTerm*utf-8 setting to true as well.
>
> > It could also be related to the font used in Xterm, so worth trying
> > another font (preferably one that has a decent portion of the UTF-8
> > glyphs).
>
> Unlikely to be a problem with the font. I'm using DejaVu Sans Mono,
> which I used on Linux in the past without any problem.

That should be a good font. If you are in the market for some other good
fonts, take a look at Monafont.

--
Kind regards,

/S