I actually think this is a time-limited problem (for MLO), and one not
exclusive to MLO. Any service which has a mobile app has the potential to
run into syncing issues. Even if the service is web-based on the desktop,
mobile nearly always has an app (and it's really required because mobile
lacks 100% connectivity). If you edit something on the desktop web-based
interface and then edit the same task on mobile in a different way without
a cloud sync in between, the same kind of problem will occur. The issue
isn't web-based vs traditional software so much as requiring constant sync
of changes in the background to prevent this kind of thing.

If the mobile app pushed all changes to the cloud instantly as they
occurred or synced on a frequent, set interval instead in the background,
that would fix part of the problem. Also, if the desktop app synced
automatically in the background at a reasonably-frequent set interval and
then checked cloud status if it became the active window and downloaded any
changes that occurred in the interim, this would pretty much eliminate the
problem.

---
Partial Solution:

Because I had the same issue, I did a few things to help automate the
procedure. First, I modified a small script for the desktop that
automatically syncs in the background. I found it online (can't remember
where) and then just modified it to make it work for me. If anyone wants
the file please let me know, I'll post it in a folder in my dropbox and
include instructions on how to install it as a service. It doesn't take
very long to do, and it means that MLO desktop stays in sync with the
cloud, which is a godsend.

On the android end I modified a few settings to make sync more seamless (I
don't know what options are available on iOS, but iOS isn't big on
background processes if I remember correctly, so MLO may be constrained in
what it can do for syncing there).

   1. In Android, I set "Both sides changed item" to apply server version.
   I tend to do less substantial edits on the android app, so I'd rather the
   big changes done on the desktop get preserved over the android app.
   2. Make sure "Autosync on close" is set to on. This covers about 60% of
   the sync functionality I need. It basically means that my desktop is never
   out-of-date.
   3. Make sure "sync via Wi-Fi only" is unchecked. I find having this
   checked is a very strange default, one which I wish MLO would change. Over
   the last 15 days MLO has used about 10mb for me, and I'm a pretty heavy
   user. If you have any data plan at all this shouldn't be an issue.
   4. If desired, check "check cloud periodically." I prefer to leave this
   one off, as I'll get an MLO alarm every time I start editing on my desktop,
   which is annoying. I just remember to sync on mobile first before doing
   anything substantial there if I've been at work on the desktop.

With all the above changes in place, sync works pretty seamlessly most of
the the time. Real, honest automatic background sync for android is the
real answer to nearly all the remaining problems. That combined with the
script above for automated desktop sync would solve nearly every sync
problem I suspect, as nothing would have the chance to get out-of-date, and
there would be no conflicts to resolve.

I remember being told at one point that android automatic background sync
would happen once desktop MLO reached 4.0, probably because MLO 4 will
include easy-to-use background syncing. However, for users who don't mind a
script for their MLO desktops, having automated android sync to work with
that now would be a godsend. At the very least it would mean fewer issues
to work through for people who were willing to put in the time to make it
work.

If MLO needed users to be guinea pigs for testing full android automated
sync, I'd be happy to volunteer myself. :)