A right-click on the taskbar gives a popup with recent files and then I get
two icons in the icons section near the clock : one for each instance. I
can click either of those as needed.

The short cut (shift ctrl m) for rapid entry pops a dialogue box with the
option to choose which file.

So, I can tell you that multiple instances of MLO work fine in Windows 8.
That is MLO Version 4

Steve