Hi Andrew/Andrei

Thanks very much for this - it worked!     To save anybody else who is
having this problem wading through the full thread, the problem is caused
by a bug in Windows 7 which returns the wrong date format to apps such as
MLO when they ask what date format to use.

The solution is to go to Control Panel > Clock, Language, Region > Change
date, time format and in the 'Format' drop down, select a different Country
(any) and click OK (or Apply?).  Open the dialog box again and select the
format you want (in my case,  'English (United Kingdom)' and click OK.

It seems that this changing the date format to something different, saving
and then changing it back causes Windows to properly store your  desired
format.

Really pleased to have resolved this because it was one those minor things
that was disproportionally annoying.

Thanks again.

Richard