I make extensive use of the archive function, to keep my current database reasonably lean, especially for usage on mobile devices. This situation is handled as your option 2. MLO use the Task ID for identification of which task is which, and where a new task should be but in the hierarchy. The Task ID is kept the same when a task is moved or copied to an archive (i.e., it is really the same task, not only a copy). During the archiving operation, all in the archive already existing parents to the tasks that are archived are updated. Other tasks that may exist in both files remain unaffected.

Keeping of the Task ID during archiving also means that internal links that you may have placed in the notes field still work if both tasks (the one with the link and the one with the referrer) are copied/moved to an archive, which I find very useful.

Helena