And to add some more information.  It looks like the columns are associated
with the view because I realised I needed the same view (with regard which
items are displayed) but with different columns in the dfferent
workspaces.     So when I went back and chose my original To Do view in my
new workspace and then edited the columns,  the columns in my main Todo
view also changed immediately.

So it looks like columns are stored with views.

But I think what is confusing is that when you change the columns on a
view, the little star does not appear to say that you have changed the view
and it also looks as if the column change immediately applied to all
instances  (ie: unlike when you change anything in the left hand panel,
where effectively that change is not applied to the original view until you
save it)

It is sort of coming back to me now because I know that I have always found
this very confusing (and still do).

The bottom line is that I want to have two workspaces both based on the
same view (ie showing the same items) but with different column
settings.    And it doesn't look as if this is possible in the main MLO
window.

However,  it does look as if you can create a helper window and then change
the column settings in that.without it affecting the column settings in the
MLO window  - which is the reason I wanted the facility in the first
place.    But then I can't save those column settings.

Hmmm,   Any thoughts any one?

Richard.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/9be91165-cee1-4bbf-b1ce-8e28def6adb0%40googlegroups.com.