Thanks, Dwight.  I don't have many/any recurring tasks in the branches that
I am looking to archive (as far as I can see)

I have just been looking at this in more detail and have (re-)discovered
the Manual Archive option which allows you to archive a branch based on a
date different to that used for the auto archive.  Which is useful.

What isn't clear from the Help is whether the rule (from the Help):

"Note: archiving is not performed in the following cases:

1) Completed subtasks from open projects. Complete the project to archive
its completed subtasks"

is applied for manual archiving.    The Help has it on the Auto Archiving
page and a similar warning only appears on the Auto Archive dialog box.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/d3a0e6d1-970e-4438-9d0e-6ae716a02dd7%40googlegroups.com.