> Editing posts isn't helpful if they've
> already been emailed out and
> people are replying to what you've
> already written.

Most modern forum software simply does not work like this. And for good
reason.

The reality is that most humans do not get anything absolutely right first
time and for this reason most forums allow you to edit your posts at least
for a while.

What many systems do is to NOT send the  email out for an hour or two and
during this time the author can edit their own work.

Another solution is to allow the author to edit their work right up to the
point that the first person comments on it.

Both of the above solutions would strike me as reasonable.  But I notice
that Facebook goes much further and allows people to edit their comments at
any time.  I can only assume that the world's most successful social
networking website has put a LOT of thought & user trialling into this
issue.

What Google does in Google Groups required a learning curve from new users.
It is obvious when posting a snail mail letter that you cannot edit it
after you have sent it. But nowadays most forums have moved on even if
Google hasn't. And although yes, we in the know can triple read our text to
get it ready for the thoughtful community that we have here at MLO, it is
yet another thing adding to the learning curve for new users.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/CAEN65JYQvbP3TonnKERRTfWMA89AwT%3Ds%3DM6mLDLq%3D13Fg32Hmw%40mail.gmail.com.