Hello John,
According to “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”, the important tasks
are the ones which move you towards your goals. This makes sense to me, so I
try to align my tasks with a goal. If I have a stand alone task which doesn’t
fit within any of my goals (including general goals like “be a good father”),
then I don’t delete it, but it’ll be deprioritised and just sit in a “pending”
folder, hidden from my to do list, until they match a future goal. I have loads
of wish-list actions, for the future, but you can’t do everything at once.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/1a19371c-8012-4e68-9a19-046b4bd94d2f%40googlegroups.com.