Hello André.
It's me - thanks for the name-check!

You've spotted the oddity with adding a set of subrules. When you click
"Add subrule", it effectively changes your current rule into the
open-bracket to group your subrules, wiping out any parameters you'd
started entering into that rule. The thing to do is always click "Add rule"
just before you click "Add sub-rule".

So, if you want to add your rules in the order you first wrote them in your
post, start by clicking "Add rule" (which is going to be your opening
bracket), then click "Add sub-rule" (to start entering the first of the
three rules inside your brackets).

When you've entered the three sub-rules (by clicking "Add-rule" each time
for the second and third sub-rules, you'll want to add your final top-level
rule (the one outside the brackets). If you just click "Add rule" where you
are, it will add it as a fourth sub-rule, within the brackets. To get back
to the top level in the tree (same as if you're adding tasks and sub-tasks
in the MLO outline), you need to click on the AND at the top of the list
(the open bracket, which is the only item at the top level in the
hierarchy) and select "Add rule".

That's a bit hard to read, so I'll try and explain it more graphically:

1)    AND [add this grouping for the next three subrules by clicking "Add
rule", but don't bother putting any criteria into the rule. We just want
the "AND"]
1.1)   dueDate <= today OR [Line 1.1 appears when you're on line 1 and
click "Add subrule"]
1.2)   startDate <= today OR [Line 1.2 is created by clicking "Add rule"
when you've finished editing the criteria for 1.1]
1.3)   starred = true OR [Line 1.3 is created by clicking "Add rule" when
you've finished editing the criteria for 1.2]
2) hasNextReview = false AND [To create a rule which is not another subrule
of line 1, you have to *go back to selecting line 1 *and click "Add rule"]

I hope that helps.
Stéphane

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/01a2a107-36a5-4ace-b654-194069d6e4cb%40googlegroups.com.