"Text Tags" sound promising.

Is there any on-line documentation about them? (I couldn't find anything)
e.g.
- Do they inherit from parents (e.g. at time of child creation)?
- Are they just plain text (not date/numeric)?
- Do they default in any helpful way?
- How long are they allowed to be?
- Do they come with any functions that can work on them?

Cheers