Hi, Julie (Sorry if you are not Julie, you didn't sign your post and that's the closest I could find to a name)

You have submitted four posts talking about an issue with a filtered hierarchy. It's clear that you are trying to accomplish something that you consider simple and that you are extraordinarily frustrated about the difficulties you have encountered. I'm pretty good at this and I can not quite figure out what went wrong, or what you are trying to do. Your emails have some discussions of your own issue, some quotes from old emails I have sent to several other people and my examples, and some of the problem statements from the other users I was writing to. Put it all together and it's too confusing for me to figure out. Maybe a different reader gets it, but if not I will try to work it through with you if you like.

First, let me try and guess what your actual issue is. My guess is:

When you have a filtered list of tasks and also have "include parents" turned on, that a task that passes the main filter but that does not have any parent is not included.

If this is the issue, let me know and I will help you report it. If fixing this would not be enough to fix your problem, then please write a new email that demonstrates the problem. Leave out all the references to previous conversations and theories about the cause, just provide these four things:

  • A small hierarchy, as simple as you can make it but still sufficient to show the problem. If task properties that play a role are not visible (context, deadline, goal, etc) include them in your message
  • A description of a view/filter that illustrates the issue. The view should be as simple as possible. Please describe ALL filters and specifications that you are setting in the view
  • A sample of the listing you want to get
  • A sample of the listing that you actually get

OK?

-Dwight