Not as complicated as you think as it's been done already and for decades.

1 very pervasive example is computer file systems (mostly Linux though Mac
and Windows have it too, just more obscured from view to the typical
end-user).

A file system after all is just a tree, exactly as our outlines are.   File
systems like that support a concept called "links"   There are "soft links"
and "hard links" which have some differences but the TLDR is that they act
as virtual pointers to another part of the tree / file system.   To use
your example:

>>>Project 1
>LINK>project 2 task 1
>>>Project 2

Project 2 Task 1 (and it's descendants) will SHOW under Project 1 even
though it may ultimately "live" under >>>Project 2.   The link is, in
effect, a virtual "doorway" to the other location.    This does not violate
the integrity of the tree structure in any way and, as I've said, tree
structures like Linux's EXT3, EXT4, Mac's HPFS, Windows' NTFS, as well as
ZFS, BTRFS, and other high performance file systems have done this for
literally DECADES.  This is not uncharted territory.

There are multiple use cases where I've wanted/needed this functionality.
Contexts are not a substitute as there are times that something belongs in
the tree in multiple places, not just "presented" that way in a flat
viewport.  This is usually a project planning or overview situation but
I've encountered it in other places.

Another simplified example might be a shopping destination that exists both
in your work and home tree structs.  I can go to Home Depot for either
reason.   I don't want two separate "Home Depot" nodes (with their
associated contexts, etc.) to live in two places.  I want "Home Depot"
avail in two places so I can list my work stuff here and my home stuff
there.  Yes, I will use a view based on Contexts for actually SHOPPING but
for PLANNING, I want HD in two places in the tree.