Hello ckle...

You can set up different advanced filters for the parents and children of
an item which matches a filter, using the "Config" button next to the
"ShowHierarchy" parameter. Does that help?

If you can give me an example of an outline structure and how you want to
filter it, I'm sure I could use those features to help you find a filter
configuration which suits your needs.