Hi David,

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 01:02:34PM +0000, David Lane wrote:
> I am having major problems with MySQL 3.22.32 running on a
> Linux-Mandrake 7.1 box with RAID 1 drives...  Although mysqld is running
> (through safe_mysqld, initiated by /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql.server start),
> any command line client interactions (e.g. mysql, mysqladmin, etc.)
> hang.  So do PHP queries (Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.12
> (NetRevolution/Linux-Mandrake) mod_ssl/2.6.4 OpenSSL/0.9.5a PHP/4.0.2
> configured).  Despite all log files reporting business as usual, even
> "mysqladmin status" hangs. Calling a php page with MySQL generated
> content results in an eventual time out on the browser but no error
> messages.  Shutting down MySQL, which requires kill -9 (the normal
> "gentle" kill, as executed by /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql.server stop,
> doesn't have any effect) results in "could not connect" errors from php
> pages, as would be expected.  Restarting MySQL (after it's been killed)
> works fine, no complaints in any of the log files: activity.log,
> $hostname.err, or update.log..., but still no response of any kind from
> the server.

Wow! That's nasty! :-(

> I've done isamchks on all the database tables (MySQL wasn't running at
> the time), with no errors reported.

I don't know what the problem could be, but if I may suggest some straws
to clutch at, here are some:

o Are you definitely looking at the right logs? An `lsof' on the main
  mysqld thread might be useful;

o When you `strace' the main mysqld thread, does it produce any useful
  information?

o Has mysqld produced many threads and is it using much cpu time, as
  reported by `ps' and `top'?

o When you do issue a kill -9 and isamchk all the tables, are there
  definitely no mysqld processes running?

o Are you hitting the maximum number of connections to MySQL? Perhaps
  when you start it up, /something/ connects and takes up all the available
  slots, even the one reserved for administrative tasks.

o Do you have many tables? Perhaps with corrupted .frm files or something.
  Can you try to connect with `mysql -A' (IIRC) to avoid it reading in
  all the tables so it can autocomplete?

o Could this be a glibc or general Mandrake bug? Have you applied all the
  Mandrake updates for 7.1?

o Is something really weird going on? Perhaps /dev/null isn't correctly
  formed or /tmp isn't writeable (a+rwxt) by the mysqld user or mysqld's
  log and data directories have inappropriate permissions? Perhaps
  /tmp/mysql.sock is a real file?

o When you start up MySQL, does /anything/ get written to the logs? Are
  you running `tail -f' on them to make sure...? :-)

o Are the disks `thrashing' while all this is going on?

o Did you install Mandrake in `paranoid' mode? (It's a while since I
  played with Mandrake, but ISTR this made all sorts of programs break
  in interesting ways... :-)

ATB,
Wesley.