Hi,

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 02:02:40PM -0000, Steven Clifford wrote:
> how much higher would you estimate the resource / memory
> consumption of 3.23.30 compared to 3.22.26 ?
> (both from the statically linked Linux i686 binary distribution)
>
> After using 3.22.26 for quite some time now, I feel
> the need to upgrade to get some of the new functionality,
> but currently I am pushing the limits even with the old
> version (going up to 40 or 50 threads sometimes).

Forty or fifty threads isn't really pushing any limits: a thousand
threads on linux is pushing limits. :-)

I seem to recall problems with 3.22.26 a long time ago - we were
upgrading from (IIRC) 3.22.21 and went to 3.22.26 - it was so much
slower than 3.22.21 under our load that we reverted to 3.22.21
after a few hours. Soon afterwards, we went to 3.22.32 and have
stayed there ever since. Hopefully we'll be going to 3.23.latest
quite soon. (*)

> Now that the new binary is almost double as big as the
> old one, I wonder whether I can "afford" this upgrade ...
> We were facing occasional lockups already where
> mysql filled all the available space in /tmp (which is 300 MB),
> which is why I won't be able to try the upgrade in an production
> environment - so any helpful comment would be appreciated .

It might be a good idea to dramastically (!) increase the size of
your /tmp - 300MB is *tiny*. Disk space is so cheap there is no
excuse for it being so small.

If you can't increase /tmp, then perhaps tell mysqld to use a
different directory (with much more space) for its temporary space.

The general concensus seems to be that 3.23.late is usually faster
than 3.22. Your mileage may vary, of course - there are many, many
improvements but your typical operation may intensively exercise
one of the areas that actually slowed down. (Wherever /they/ are... :-)

You'll have to check it out for yourself /anyway/ before you deploy
it to production. You may as well do it now. :-)

ATB,
Wesley.

(*) I could be slightly off with these numbers - it might have been
3.22.25 we tried to upgrade to, and it /may/ not have been 3.22.21
we were coming from. I'm /fairly/ sure about these versions, though.