Hi there,
I am setting up a lab on MySQL and I am not able to.
Its a red hat 7.0 server and has PHP installed and working with apache.
I installed MySQL from the very RPMs Red Hat provided.
Whenever I try to start the server, I get the error message:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/m
ysql.sock' (111)

Well the file /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock exists on the computer. I can't
understand what this socket problem is and I went through all documentation
and couldn't find a solution to this. Can you please provide a solution to
this
at the earliest. I have students piling on my head and I have already
skipped my deadline of setting the server up.

Thank You.
William