[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Hi there,
> I am setting up a lab on MySQL and I am not able to.
> Its a red hat 7.0 server and has PHP installed and working with apache.
> I installed MySQL from the very RPMs Red Hat provided.
> Whenever I try to start the server, I get the error message:
>
> Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/m
> ysql.sock' (111)
>
> Well the file /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock exists on the computer. I can't
> understand what this socket problem is and I went through all documentation
> and couldn't find a solution to this. Can you please provide a solution to
> this
> at the earliest. I have students piling on my head and I have already
> skipped my deadline of setting the server up.

Hi!

We have seen this problem (although I have not personally
investigated) with many RH7+default_mysql. The quick and easy solution
(until I figure out further) is to download the MySQL RPMs from:

    http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-3.23.html

Uninstall the standard RedHat 7.0 MySQL RPMs, then reinstall
ours. Like I said, I'm not sure what RedHat is doing wrong with their
MySQL RPMs... But I have seen this numerous times with regard to their
supplied RPMs. Something is amiss.

I will investigate more.

Regards,

    Matt

--
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /   Matt Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>