ps -ef|grep -c mysql

Subtract 3 from this as this is the default number of daemons that
start. One is spawned for each new child.

Yes, if the php script terminates, the mysql child will also terminate.
This is not the behaviour with persistant connections though. Please
move this over to the php list as it does not have anything to do with
mysql as such.