Richard Ellerbrock wrote:

> I am not 100% sure I understand you but I presume you are talking about the 2Gig
>file size limit of some OS'es? If this is the case, just find out where MySQL stores
>its databases and have a look at the filesize - you are using the C API, so doing a
>call to get this info should be trivial.

Yes I am talking about the 2gig(solaris) or 4gig(linux) limit, and
I know how to check it myself if I am running on the same server
that mysql server is running on. My question is regarding running
from a client on an arbitrary machine, which may *not* be directly
accessible except through the mysql server.