Thanks Matt.
MySQL is finally working.
But the problem now is that PHP is not recognizing its MySQL
functions. The error I am getting is:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_pconnect() in
/var/www/html/Willy/MySQL/test1.php on line 28

Well, the php_mysql RPM has been installed along with mod_php4.rpm.
PHP can recognize its own functions but not those of MySQL. I checked
for the RPMs to be installed and I have installed all the php RPMs
( including php-mysql RPM). despite doing all that I get this error. MySQL
is running perfect as I get the status when I type "mysqladmin -u=root
status".
Please help me. This is very urgent for me.

Thank You.
Willy